Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Speech Given by Dragging Canoe

- Chief Dragging Canoe, Chickamauga Tsalagi (Cherokee) 1775



"Whole Indian Nations have melted away like snowballs in the sun before the white man's advance. They leave scarcely a name of our people except those wrongly recorded by their destroyers. Where are the Delawares? They have been reduced to a mere shadow of their former greatness. We had hoped that the white men would not be willing to travel beyond the mountains. Now that hope is gone. They have passed the mountains, and have settled upon Tsalagi (Cherokee) land. They wish to have that usurpation sanctioned by treaty. When that is gained, the same encroaching spirit will lead them upon other land of the Tsalagi (Cherokees). New cessions will be asked. Finally the whole country, which the Tsalagi (Cherokees) and their fathers have so long occupied, will be demanded, and the remnant of the Ani Yvwiya, The Real People, once so great and formidable, will be compelled to seek refuge in some distant wilderness. There they will be permitted to stay only a short while, until they again behold the advancing banners of the same greedy host. Not being able to point out any further retreat for the miserable Tsalagi (Cherokees), the extinction of the whole race will be proclaimed. Should we not therefore run all risks, and incur all consequences, rather than to submit to further loss of our country? Such treaties may be alright for men who are too old to hunt or fight. As for me, I have my young warriors about me. We will hold our land."

19 comments:

  1. Dragging Canoe, or The Canoe or just Canoe, bolted the Sycamore Shoals Treaty Grounds, refused to sign U.S. treaties, and joined our families in southeast Kentucky Cherokee Tribe, the Upper Cherokee, with links to the Cherokee Creeks and Chicamauga (Redsticks)and Middle and Lower Towns too. Canoe, Kentucky, now in Breathitt County, is named for him. - martin redbird cherokeeempire.bravehost.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Martin I had a question. Do you know of Dragging Canoe having daughters and if possible the names of his Daughters? I have a photo of my Ancestor a Beautiful young true Native American woman said to be his daughter who married an Irish immigrant. She would be my great grandmother and he is my great grandfather generations back of course. I'm trying to gather more information on my history! Thank you

      Delete
    2. One of his daughters was amasa jane chandler.

      Delete
    3. Dragging canoe is my 6th great grandfather

      Delete
    4. Dragging canoe is my 6th great grandfather

      Delete
    5. You may want to contact the Chandler families of Kentucky and Tennessee. Chief Dragging Canoe was connected to some of my familes living at times at Jeff, Kentucky, Perry County, southeast Kentucky, as well as his relative Attaculacula or Atti or Atta. Canoe, KY in Breathitt County, old Perry County, is named for him. A buried Indian dugout Canoe perhaps connected to The Canoe himself was buried in the sand on the upper Kentucky River, found by my relatives, but burned or destroyed out of hatred by others in the 1900's. Governor Chandler's family of Kentucky may be helpful. cherokeeempire.bravehost.com

      Delete
    6. Did he have a daughter Elmira Eldridge Canoe who married both Michael Snider and Mitchel Sanders

      Delete
  2. Another daughter was Naky Sarah Brown Ward. Dragging Canoe was my fifth great-grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naky Sarah Canoe is my 6th great-grandmother.

      Delete
    2. I am doing the Ward family of Grayson County, Va. And I Have Nathan Ward born around 1761/65 Coal Creek Grayson Co. Va. died 1835 Grayson Cty. married Sarah Dragging Canoe (cherokee indian) about 1765, Turkey Knob, Alleghany NC. They are buried at the Osborne Fort Cemetary near Bridle Creek, Grayson Va. Sarah (full blooded Cherokee Indian) was the daughter of "Dragging Canoe" (Tsi'yu-gunsini) born 1734 in Chola or Esatua, TN., the son of Attakullakulla (The Little Carpenter, so named for his skill at crafting treaty language acceptable to all) and cousin of Nancy Ward & Ugalogy Leaf Nelly. Don Malone @ donrmalone@tampabay.rr.com

      Delete
  3. I heard from family Deagging Canoe is a ancestor of mine I am so eager to map out this into my heritage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Support to be mine to my son know more about it

      Delete
  4. I heard from family Deagging Canoe is a ancestor of mine I am so eager to map out this into my heritage

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard from family Deagging Canoe is a ancestor of mine I am so eager to map out this into my heritage

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard from family Deagging Canoe is a ancestor of mine I am so eager to map out this into my heritage

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see above other Wards Ive never heard of that may come from this line. I am searching for information on a Keziah Ward. Any information very much appreciated. reklc1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dragging Canoe Chief "Tsiyu Gansini" (1738 - 1792) is my 7th great-grandfather.
    His daughter Naky Sarah Canoe is my 6th GG.
    Her son Alexander "Chickamauga Cherokee Chief" Brown is my 5th GG.
    His daughter Quatie Brown Henley Ross is my 4th GG.Her husband, Chief John Ross is my 4th great grandfather.
    Their daughter Jane Ross Nave is my 3rd great-grandmother.

    She married her 1st cousin, Andrew Ross Nave who is my 3rd great-grandfather. This was common among the Cherokee and other tribes at the time.Have many family members buried in the John Ross/Tahlequah/Pettit/Park Hill cemeteries. I also have several pre Trail of Tears mixed blood 'Old Settlers" family members buried in Oklahoma and Arkansas.

    I don't consider myself Cherokee, but I feel very fortunate to have such a complex lineage and history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is the citation for this speech?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does anyone have history on Matilda Snow Allen, wife of Squire Eleazer Allen? They lived in Saline County, Arkansas and that's where they both died. I've seen some history's that Matilda was a granddaughter of Dragging Canoe, but I have my grave doubts about this.

    ReplyDelete