Friday, May 25, 2012

My Maternal Great Grandfather Andrew (Andy) Miller

Andrew Jackson Miller 1845 - 1906

Father of Lucinda Miller

I would certainly think my Great Grandfather Andrew Jackson Miller was named after President Andrew Jackson (Old Hickory) who died in the same year my gGrandfather was born. President Andrew Jackson (March 15, 1767 – June 8, 1845) was the seventh President of the United States (1829–1837). Based in frontier Tennessee, Jackson was a politician and army general who defeated the Creek Indians at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend (1814).
The Battle of Horseshoe Bend  was fought during the War of 1812 in central Alabama.On March 27, 1814, US forces and Cherokee and Choctaw allies under General Andrew Jackson defeated the Red Sticks, a part of the Creek Indian tribe who opposed American expansion, effectively ending the Creek War. His Grandfather was Andrew Miller so it was a natural progression.

I have seen him listed as Andrew, Andrew Jackson, A. J. and Andy. Apparently he used all of these names interchangeably. It made research harder, and there were several different like-named men, Andrew Miller, that gave me a hard time for a while, particularly since one other person on the Dawes Roll was Andrew Jackson Miller and also married to a Martha Miller, except she was Martha E.  I did a good bit of head scratching to figure who was my Andy Miller.

While the documents below were not the first ones I found on Andy or his family, they did almost make me wet my pants I was so excited.

I degress, but I loved, loved finding Civil War documents.  It is amazing to me you can. Yea for computers.

Company Muster-In Roll of Andrew Miller
A Pvt. in Captain Jefferson Hicks' Co., 1 Reg't Cherokee Mounted Riflemen. Age 16 years, Roll dated Fort Gibson, Nov 5, 1861, Muster-in to date Oct 25, 1861. Joined for duty and enrolled Oct 4 1861. Where - Salene District. By Whom Jeff Hicks. Period 12 mos.





Fort Gibson, now located in Oklahoma and designated Fort Gibson Historical Site, guarded the American frontier in Indian Territory from 1824 until 1890. When constructed, the fort lay farther west than any other military post in the United States; it formed part of the north–south chain of forts intended to maintain peace on the frontier of the American West and to protect the southwestern border of the Louisana Purchase. The fort succeeded in its peacekeeping mission for more than 50 years, as no massacres or battles occurred there. (Wikipedia)





A Receipt Roll for Clothing Dec. 12 1862 with No Signature



No comments:

Post a Comment